DANBURY, Conn. -- CityCenter Danbury's Concerts on the Green August lineup kicks off with the Brothers of the Road band, an Allman Brothers tribute band.
The largest free summer concert series in the Northeast features performances that begin at 7:15 p.m., with headliners taking the bandshell stage (at Ives Street) at 8 p.m., unless otherwise noted.
The series, presented by Union Savings Bank and CityCenter Danbury, runs through Saturday, Aug. 29, with newly added surprises like "Thumbs Up Thursday," an evening of entertainment designed to appeal to children. A suggested donation of $2 is welcomed, $5 per family.
Parking is available at the Patriot Garage at 21 Delay St. and the Bardo Garage at 10 Library Place.
This year, people may be picked out of the audience as a "Saturday Scavenger" and given the opportunity to win prizes from such downtown donors as Palace Danbury, Danbury Museum & Historical Society, Danbury Farmers' Market and more. Show up wearing anything that will make you stand out in the crowd.
The August performance schedule is:
- Saturday, Aug. 1 -- Brothers of the Road Band. Since 2006, the Brothers of the Road Band has performed the music of The Allman Brothers Band from New England to Georgia. Opening act: Slapback.
- Thursday, Aug. 6, 7:30 p.m. -- West Afrikan Drumming. This high-energy concert will feature members of the Kariamu Dance Troupe, students from the Danbury Music Centre’s Afrikan Drum Class, and professional dancers and drummers from Connecticut, New York and Africa. Rain location: Broadview Middle School.
- Friday, Aug. 7 -- Higher & Higher. Higher & Higher, Connecticut’s premier dance band, offers a wide variety of musical styles and selections that appeal to all ages and tastes. Opening act: Take Two.
- Saturday, Aug. 8 Ze Rodrigo. Meet one of the greatest Brazilian singers, with a 20-year career, more than 2,000 concerts in more than 300 cities all over the world. Opening act: TNT.
- Thursday, Aug. 13, 7 p.m. -- Thumbs Up Thursday, featuring Big Nazo.
- Friday, Aug. 14 -- Griffin Anthony Band. Opening act: Candlewood.
- Saturday, Aug. 15 -- Three Legged Dog. Opening Act: Queens Revenge.
- Thursday, Aug. 20, 7:30 p.m. -- Danbury Drum Corps. Opening act: CT Rebels.
- Friday, Aug. 21 -- Get Your Wings. Opening act: A Shot of Karma.
- Saturday, Aug. 22 -- Blues Buddha. Opening act: Brianne Chassanoff.
- Friday, Aug. 28 -- Beyond The Wall. Opening act: Loom.
- Saturday, Aug. 29 -- The Doug Wahlberg Band. Opening act: The Screw Ups.
For more information, call 203-792 1711 or visit citycenterdanbury.com.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.