DANBURY, Conn. -- A Pink Floyd tribute band more than a decade in the making is one of a half-dozen musical acts taking the stage in July at the Danbury Green.
Beyond the Wall, founded in 2007 by drummer and vocalist Ray Distephan of Brookfield, told the Daily Voice it was passion and audience that drove him to form the band.
"I love Pink Floyd's music and I knew there would be an audience for it," he said, noting it took years to find the right musicians who saw his vision.
"Floyd's not my favorite band, but it was the first one I fell in love with. I was in the fifth grade when my sister came home with 'The Wall' and I was captivated.
"There’s something unique about Pink Floyd and anyone who has ever liked them, probably still does, and anyone new who likes them, probably always will."
Venues like the Danbury Green, with shows starting at 8 p.m., work well for his audience, many of whom have stopped going to see late night bar bands.
"I'm the youngest in the band but not by much. Like many in our audience, we enjoy these early shows and being done by 11 p.m," the 47-year-old said.
Grandparents show up at the concerts wearing Pink Floyd concert shirts, grand kids in tow, sitting alongside millennials, he said.
"We offer a real concert experience with the right lighting and a lot of equipment. We try to re-create what is on a Pink Floyd album and really emulate them," he said. "People have responded."
Here are the band members:
- Ray DiStephan of Brookfield - drums and vocals
- Tim McGrath of Newtown - guitar and vocals
- David Jameson of Chappaqua, NY - keyboards and vocals
- Mike Canavan of Brookfield - bass and vocals
- Mitch Kalmus of Brookfield - guitar and vocals
Concerts at the Danbury Green start at 7 p.m. with an opening act, followed by the headliner at 8 p.m.
The headliners in July include:
- Friday, July 8 - Back to the Garden 1969, the music and spirit of Woodstock.
- Saturday, July 9 - Doug Wahlberg Band, 60s/70s British rock
- Friday, July 15 - Beyond the Wall, Pink Floyd tribute band
- Friday, July 22 - Fast Lane, Eagles tribute band
- Thursday, July 28 -- West Afrikan Drumming
- Friday July 29 - British Invasion, Beatles and '60s era tribute
Click here for more information or call 203-792 1711.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.