DANBURY, Conn. -- Twenty-three local youths were recently honored with the President's Volunteer Service Award, for their service with the Youth Volunteer Corps of Western Connecticut.
These young folks served 50 or more hours at local nonprofits and community agencies in the greater Danbury area. The President's Volunteer Service Award recognizes, celebrates and holds up as role models Americans making a positive impact as engaged and deeply committed volunteers.
To receive this award, kids ages 11-15 needed to complete at least 50 hours in a 12-month period; for those 16-18, a minimum of 100 hours is required.
Here is a full list of the local students who were honored:
- Kate Mitchell, Bethel Middle School
- Elizabeth Tran, Bethel Middle School
- Alexandra Schulman, Bethel High School
- Jaylynn Carter, St. Peters School, Danbury
- Connor Parille, Rogers Park Middle School, Danbury
- Juliana Fuente, Danbury High School
- Korrine Nelson, Danbury High School
- Misha Prukalski, Danbury High School
- Matthias Siber, Danbury High School
- Catarina Silva, Danbury High School
- Cory Struski, Danbury High School
- Kendra Dascano, Immaculate High School, Danbury
- Bonnie VosWinkel, Immaculate High School, Danbury
- Johanse Martinez, Rogers Park Middle School, Danbury
- Alexandria Silva, Westside Academy, Danbury
- Daniel Michael, Wooster High School, Danbury
- John Rigoglioso, New Fairfield Middle School
- Rachel Greening, New Fairfield High School
- Maya Welber, Newtown High School
- Emma Kiernan, Scotts Ridge Middle School, Ridgefield
- Andrew Chang, Ridgefield High School
- Ian Ferguson, Ridgefield High School
- Mikaela Kiernan, Ridgefield High School
The YVC of Western Connecticut is a program of United Way of Western Connecticut. The program engages youth ages 11-18 in quality, team-based service-learning projects. For over six years, YVC has engaged young people from diverse backgrounds in service projects helping the community. Nearly 160 youth served 3,090 hours with YVC during the last program year.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.