DANBURY, Conn. -- Two Danbury residents are facing federal charges of participating in a conspiracy involving the theft of money from the U.S. Postal Service on Wednesday, June 18, according to U.S. Attorney for Connecticut Deirdre M. Daly.
Anthony Sterlin Cantave, 34, and Venus Verges, 33, are accused of purchasing U.S. Postal Service money orders in amounts ranging from $400 to $1,000 at post offices in Fairfield County, said a statement from Daly.
After the money orders were purchased, they used a mobile banking application to deposit the funds into bank accounts they controlled, the statement said.
Shortly after depositing the funds, the defendants then returned to the post offices from which the respective money orders had been purchased, failed to disclose that they had deposited the funds, returned the money orders and were refunded their money, the statement said.
Cantave and Verges were each charged with one count of conspiracy to convert public money, and offense that carries a maximum sentence of five years in federal prison.
Cantave was also charged with 11 counts of conversion of public money, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison. Verges was also charged with five counts of conversion of public money, the statement said.
The matter is being investigated by the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.
- 1 Suspected Drug Dealer Busted With Crack, Heroin, Danbury Police Say
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Danbury
- 3 Danbury Man, 67, Gets 10 Years In Prison For Leading Drug Ring
- 4 Danbury Billionaire Delays Construction To Keep Kids Soccer Fields Open
- 5 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport