Danbury Nursing Home Fined After Patient Dies From Choking On Meatball

  • Comment
The Danbury Health Care Center was fined after a resident died after choking on a meatball.
The Danbury Health Care Center was fined after a resident died after choking on a meatball. Photo Credit: healthbridgemanagement.com

DANBURY, Conn. -- The state Department of Public Health fined the Danbury Health Care Center last month after a resident died of complications from choking on a meatball, according to newstimes.com. 

The resident at the nursing home was being treated for cancer as well as a seizure disorder, but medical records failed to document the patient's risk for the swallowing disorder dysphagia, the newstimes.com reported. 

A practical nurse left the meal tray with the resident but returned to find the resident unresponsive, the story said. A meatball was removed from the patient's airway, but the patient died due to a lack of oxygen to the brain the following day, newstimes.com said. 

Click here to read the full article. 

  • Comment

Comments