DANBURY, Conn. -- As a massive project begins on Interstate 84 in Danbury on Monday, motorists are advised to expect delays or to be prepared to take alternate routes, the Connecticut Department of Transportation says.
The work involves reconstruction of interchanges 5 and 6 on I-84.
There will be lane closures beginning Monday, April 6, on the following areas:
- Exit 5 eastbound off-ramp 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Exit 6 westbound off-ramp 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Exit 5 westbound off-ramp and exit 6 eastbound on-ramp from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Padanaram Road (Route 37) from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- All other roadways from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- On Saturdays and Sundays, work will be limited to 6 p.m. to 10 a.m. on all project roadways.
The project consists of the widening of Exit 5 off-ramps on both the eastbound and westbound sides and the Exit 6 on-ramp and off ramp.
Route 37 (North Street and Padanaram Road) will be widened in the area of Exit 6, and traffic signals will be upgraded and/or added at Intersections from Balmforth Avenue to the North Street Shopping Center.
A new storm drainage system will be installed on Second Avenue.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.