DANBURY, Conn. - Gloria Thorn of Danbury died April 10. She was 87.
Thorn was born in New York City, she was the daughter of John and Jessie Van Elk. She had a long career as a dietitian and retired from the New York City Board of Education as a food service coordinator. During her retirement she was a member of the community, active in the United Methodist Church, holding positions with AARP and RSVP and many community events.
Thorn is survived by her son, Wesley Thorn of Danbury; daughter, Elaine Thorn of Las Vegas, Nev.; and sister-in-law, June Van Elk. She was predeceased by her parents; husband, John W. Thorn; brothers, Gilbert Van Elk and Rev. Paul Van Elk; and sister, Jeanne (Robert) Moran.
A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, April 15 at The Kensico Cemetery, Valhalla. A memorial service we be held at 1:30 p.m. Sunday, April 27 at the United Methodist Church in Danbury.
Contributions may be made to the United Methodist Church, 5 Clapboard Ridge Road, Danbury CT 06811 or a health/hospice facility of your choice.
For more information, please visit: http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Gloria-Thorn&lc=6777&pid=170658815&mid=5930984
- 1 Lower Fairfield County Ranked As Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Danbury
- 3 Danbury's Henry Abbott Tech Gets State's Seventh E-House
- 4 Suspected Drug Dealer Busted With Crack, Heroin, Danbury Police Say
- 5 Three Iconic Offerings Will Be Cut From McDonald's Menu In Danbury