DANBURY, Conn. - Gloria Thorn of Danbury died April 10. She was 87.
Thorn was born in New York City, she was the daughter of John and Jessie Van Elk. She had a long career as a dietitian and retired from the New York City Board of Education as a food service coordinator. During her retirement she was a member of the community, active in the United Methodist Church, holding positions with AARP and RSVP and many community events.
Thorn is survived by her son, Wesley Thorn of Danbury; daughter, Elaine Thorn of Las Vegas, Nev.; and sister-in-law, June Van Elk. She was predeceased by her parents; husband, John W. Thorn; brothers, Gilbert Van Elk and Rev. Paul Van Elk; and sister, Jeanne (Robert) Moran.
A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, April 15 at The Kensico Cemetery, Valhalla. A memorial service we be held at 1:30 p.m. Sunday, April 27 at the United Methodist Church in Danbury.
Contributions may be made to the United Methodist Church, 5 Clapboard Ridge Road, Danbury CT 06811 or a health/hospice facility of your choice.
For more information, please visit: http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=Gloria-Thorn&lc=6777&pid=170658815&mid=5930984
- 1 Two Sons Injured Trying To Save Elderly Mother From Ridgefield Condo Fire
- 2 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teen Girl
- 3 Stamford Man Stopped On I-684 Charged With Driving Wrong Way, DWI
- 4 'I Am A Woman,' Newtown High School Graduate Jenner Says In 20/20 Interview
- 5 Mucinex Cold, Flu Medicine Recall Announced