RIDGEFIELD, Conn. -- Actor and playwright Harvey Fierstein of Ridgefield has penned an op-ed for the New York Times on Russian President Vladimir Putin's war on homosexuals under the headline, "Russia's Anti-Gay Crackdown."
Fierstein, a four-time Tony Award winner, shines a light on a recent Putin policy to ban the adoption of Russian-born children not only to gay couples but also to anyone living in a country where marriage equality exists.
He also blasts a law signed by Putin allowing police to arrest tourists and foreign nationals suspected of being homosexual, lesbian or “pro-gay,” a troubling policy in the months leading up to the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Fierstein calls on world and Olympic leaders to speak out against the policies.
Read Fierstein's full op-ed piece here in The New York Times.
- 1 One Lane Reopens On I-84 Stretch After Tractor-Trailer/Car Accident
- 2 Two Sons Injured Trying To Save Elderly Mother From Ridgefield Condo Fire
- 3 Danbury Police: Man Arrested On Drug Charges After Ramming Unmarked Car
- 4 Thunderstorms Could Produce Gusty Winds, Hail In Danbury
- 5 Ole Mexican Grill Serves Up New Options Near Danbury's WestConn