Contact Us
Danbury Daily Voice serves Danbury, CT
Return to your home site


Danbury Daily Voice serves Danbury, CT

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Danbury Detective Will Be Added To Memorial For Line-Of-Duty Death

The name of a Danbury police detective will be added to the Connecticut Police Chiefs Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden.
The name of a Danbury police detective will be added to the Connecticut Police Chiefs Law Enforcement Memorial in Meriden. Photo Credit: Connecticut Police Chiefs Law Enforcement Memorial

DANBURY, Conn. — A Danbury police detective who died as a result of line-of-duty-related injuries will he honored this month as his name is added to the Connecticut Police Chiefs Law Enforcement Memorial.

Danbury Police Detective William E. Hull Sr. suffered from injuries due to smoke inhalation after coming to the aid of a resident at a house fire in 1986, and he died nearly 30 years later as a direct result of those injuries, police said.

Hull was appointed to the Danbury Police Department on Dec. 5, 1969, and was appointed a detective on June 18, 1979.

He retired from the Danbury Police Department on Dec. 1, 1986. Hull died on Sept. 8, 2015 as a direct result of the injury sustained while on duty, police said.

The Danbury Police Department supplied this narrative of how Hull was injured on duty.

On Aug. 7, 1978, Police Officer William Hull was on motor patrol duty when he was flagged down at 2 p.m. by a man in the area of 29 Beaver Brook Road.

The man was bleeding heavily from his right arm. At the same time, Hull saw that the house at the address had flames shooting out from the rear, and he saw heavy smoke both inside and outside the house.

Hull notified dispatch and asked for firefighters and an ambulance. He then rendered first aid to the injured 18-year-old man, who lived in the burning home.

The teen and Hull opened the front door of the home in an attempt to rescue a dog, but they were hit with heavy black smoke.

The teen also told Hull that his van was near the rear of the house, where there was heavy fire. The officer and the resident then ran to the back of the house.

With the help of neighbors, they were able to get the vehicle away from the burning house. Hull ran through the smoke again to the front of the house, to meet fire and ambulance units.

Hull also attended to the male victim a second time, who continued to bleed heavily, until ambulance personnel were able to take over.

When Hull began coughing heavily and felt pressure in his chest, he was given first aid on the scene. He then drove himself to Danbury Hospital, where he received additional treatment for smoke inhalation.

He was out of work for several days before returning to his regular duties on Aug. 14, 1978. Hull eventually retired on Dec. 1, 1986, due to ongoing health injuries related to this incident.

At 7 p.m. May 8, The Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial Foundation will hold a dinner at the Aqua Turf, where Hull will be honored as a Connecticut Line of Duty Death.

At 10 p.m. May 23, the Danbury Police Department Memorial and Awards Day. Hull will be remembered for the first time since his death, as the latest line of duty death of the Danbury Police Department.

At 11 a.m. May 24, Hull will be memorialized and his name added to the Connecticut Law Enforcement Memorial.

The Memorial is located at the Connecticut Police Academy in Meriden. It is open daily for public viewing.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Danbury Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.