DANBURY, Conn. – No one was injured, but approximately 25 people were unable to return home after a house fire on Maple Street Friday afternoon, according to Danbury Fire Department officials.
The fire started outside a three-story multi-family home at about 1:30 p.m. Firefighters were able to put out the flames before they spread to the interior of the building, but smoke and fire damage spread to all three floors on the outside of the house, according to fire department reports.
All people inside the house had left the building by the time firefighters arrived.
Officials ruled the home uninhabitable because of smoke damage and existing fire hazards discovered after the blaze, according to Asst. Fire Chief Stephen Williams.
“Some of the damage was from the fire, but as they were inspecting they found a few more electrical and code violations,” Williams said.
Officials believe that the fire was caused by the remnants of a embers that had been disposed of outside the home earlier in the day.
Red Cross volunteers were on scene to help the displaced residents after the fire.
- 1 Owner Of Danbury Pet Shop Charged With Animal Cruelty
- 2 Second Arrest Made In Animal Cruelty Case At Danbury Pet Store
- 3 9 Danbury Condos Sustain Damage In Fire Sparked By Lightning
- 4 2 Danbury Teens Charged With Harassing Ex-Teacher With Fake Twitter Account
- 5 Danbury High Administrator Leaving For Post At Stamford High