BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Kyle Navin has rejected a plea deal that would see him serve 60 years in prison for the murder of his parents, and will instead go to trial for the charges, according to the Connecticut Post.
Navin, 29, is accused of murdering his parents, Jeanette and Jeffrey Navin of Easton, in 2015 and burying them in the yard of a Weston home. He was arrested in October 2015 and charged with two counts of murder and murder under special circumstances.
Appearing in court on Wednesday, Navin rejected a plea deal of 60 years in prison if he pleaded guilty to the murders, according to the Connecticut Post. He will instead face a 12-member jury beginning next year, the Connecticut Post reported.
Navin graduated from Weston High School and was living in Bridgeport at the time of his parents' deaths. His parents had been been reported missing a couple months before their bodies were discovered, and police said that they had a strained relationship with their son, who had financial problems and a history of drug addiction.
Navin's girlfriend, 31-year-old Jennifer Valiante of Westport, was also charged with conspiracy to commit murder and hindering prosecution in the case. In November she pleaded guilty under the Alford Doctrine, meaning that she does not admit guilt but concedes that she would be found guilty under the evidence.
The judge in Valiante's case indicated that he would impose a sentence of 16 years, suspended after she serves eight, followed by eight years of supervised release, according to the Connecticut Post.
Valiante's lawyer told the Connecticut Post that she does not plan on testifying against Navin, and that her sentencing has been extended until his case is resolved.
Navin's case was continued until February, when jury selection will begin, according to the Connecticut Post.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.