DANBURY, Conn. -- State Trooper Jason Cassavechia was recently honored for his outstanding service during a car chase and drug arrest in Danbury in September 2012.
Cassavechia earned the Medal for Outstanding Service, which is given to those who successfully perform an extreme, complex or difficult investigation.
The following is the citation from the state Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection accompanying Cassavechia's award:
Cassavechia was conducting traffic enforcement on Interstate 84 eastbound near Exit 2 when he recorded a vehicle traveling 82 mph in a 55 mph zone. As he pulled out after the vehicle, the vehicle sped up, exceeding 85 mph.
Cassavechia caught up with the vehicle and conducted a motor vehicle stop on Route 7 southbound. He approached the vehicle and detected an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle.
During a probable cause search, Cassavechia found a small amount of marijuana in a bag on the passenger’s floor.
He then found two large locked suitcases in the passenger compartment. Upon opening those suitcases, he located 37.6 pounds of marijuana, valued at $125,000. The driver was arrested on narcotics and motor vehicle charges.
- 1 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Says Report
- 2 Danbury Picks 92-Year-Old Army Vet As Grand Marshal For Parade
- 3 Updated Memorial Day Forecast Brings Good News For Fairfield
- 4 Picture Perfect Memorial Day Greets Danbury As Parade Steps Off
- 5 Shirley M. O'Marra, Longtime Danbury Resident