DANBURY, Conn. -- State Trooper Jason Cassavechia was recently honored for his outstanding service during a car chase and drug arrest in Danbury in September 2012.
Cassavechia earned the Medal for Outstanding Service, which is given to those who successfully perform an extreme, complex or difficult investigation.
The following is the citation from the state Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection accompanying Cassavechia's award:
Cassavechia was conducting traffic enforcement on Interstate 84 eastbound near Exit 2 when he recorded a vehicle traveling 82 mph in a 55 mph zone. As he pulled out after the vehicle, the vehicle sped up, exceeding 85 mph.
Cassavechia caught up with the vehicle and conducted a motor vehicle stop on Route 7 southbound. He approached the vehicle and detected an odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle.
During a probable cause search, Cassavechia found a small amount of marijuana in a bag on the passenger’s floor.
He then found two large locked suitcases in the passenger compartment. Upon opening those suitcases, he located 37.6 pounds of marijuana, valued at $125,000. The driver was arrested on narcotics and motor vehicle charges.
- 1 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place
- 2 State Police Seize 'Extraordinary Amount' Of Illegal Fireworks In Danbury
- 3 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 4 Danbury Police Search For Missing 14-Year-Old Girl
- 5 Liquor Stores In Connecticut Can Now Stay Open Later