FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) has proposed the first increase in the federal gas tax since 1993, according to thehill.com.
The bipartisan bill proposed by Murphy and Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) on Wednesday would increase the gas tax 12 cents over the next two years to help cover the shortfall in the Highway Trust Fund, thehill.com reported.
“We’re losing hundreds of millions of dollars in economic productivity because we’re failing to invest in our nation’s roadway and rails,” Murphy told thehill.com. “You’re not going to find, virtually, any member of Congress who is proposing to spend less money on infrastructure over the next 10 years.”
- 1 Suspected Drug Dealer Busted With Crack, Heroin, Danbury Police Say
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Danbury
- 3 Three Iconic Offerings Will Be Cut From McDonald's Menu In Danbury
- 4 Ten-Year-Old Debuts In Danbury Palace's 'Scrooge: The Musical'
- 5 Danbury Billionaire Delays Construction To Keep Kids Soccer Fields Open