Contact Us
Danbury Daily Voice serves Danbury, CT
Return to your home site

Menu

Danbury Daily Voice serves Danbury, CT

Nearby Towns

schools

Daily Voice Leaders: Western Connecticut President John Clark

Dr. John Clark, president of Western Connecticut State University in Danbury
Dr. John Clark, president of Western Connecticut State University in Danbury Video Credit: Daily Voice Northern Fairfield County

DANBURY, Conn. — As students return to class this fall, Western Connecticut State University President John Clark reflects on what makes the Danbury-based institution special.

Clark said the makeup of the student population sets WestConn apart.

"The majority are what we would call the traditional student, who is 18 to 22 years old," he said. Of those, 51 percent are women and 32 percent are minorities.

"Most of our students — about 96 percent — come from the state of Connecticut ... the remaining 4 percent come from right across the border," in New York, Clark said. "About 20 percent come from the immediate area. ...

"We are indeed the American Dream. As a public institution ... we are in a sense the new Ellis Island or Statue of Liberty," he said. "Our major charge is to bring in those students and watch them grow and bloom."

For the full interview with John Clark and to learn more about Western Connecticut State University in Danbury, watch the Daily Voice video above.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Danbury Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.