DANBURY, Conn. -- Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton gave out more than $10,000 in grant money from the Danbury Education Foundation last month to help fund several projects and events throughout the district.
The winners of the grants are:
- Darren Wittko and Mary Fee, Broadview Middle School: “Creative Publishing and Production.”
- Debbie Ireland, Stadley Rough Elementary School: “Little Free Library Outreach.”
- Susan DeMattio, Danbury High School: “Student Centered Learning.”
- Tracey Scalzo, Morris Street School: “Hatching Baby Chicks.”
- Mark Ottusch and Will Hauser: “Heart Rate Monitoring in Physical Education.” Ottusch said the grant money will be used for a program wherein students use heart-rate monitors during physical education class.
The Danbury Education Foundation raises money for school programs outside of the regular school budget and takes applications from schools for needed items, such as field trips or equipment. Every district teacher has the opportunity to apply.