DANBURY, Conn. -- As the school year opens Monday in Danbury, the new Westside Middle School Academy will be welcoming students for the first time.
The Westside Middle School Academy, which is based in the former Mill Ridge Intermediate School, will welcome 400 students in its two academies: one with a focus on a science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) and one for global studies.
The STEM program, which was previously housed at Rogers Park Middle School, will have 300 students this fall. The global studies program, which is launching this year, will have 100 students. The students from across the entire Danbury school district were selected by entering a lottery. The global studies program will be phased in over the next two years.
This fall also marks the completion of 18 additional classrooms at Stadley Rough, Shelter Rock and Park Avenue Elementary Schools to reduce crowding.
Danbury High School boasts a new electronic sign visible from Clapboard Ridge Road. It was partially funded by the school's $100,000 prize money in last fall's "Celebrate My Drive" online challenge from State Farm Insurance. In the challenge, participants promised to practice safe driving habits.
The first day of school Monday will be a full day. Here are the school times:
- 7:20 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Danbury High School
- 7:40 a.m. to 2:25 p.m.: Middle Schools: Broadview, Rogers Park, West Side Middle School Academy
- 8:25 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Early elementary schools: Hayestown Avenue, King Street, Mill Ridge, Morris Street, Shelter Rock and Stadley Rough
- 8:55 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.: Late elementary schools: Great Plain, Park Avenue, Ellsworth Avenue, Pembroke, South Street and Academy for International Studies
- 1 Owner Of Danbury Pet Shop Charged With Animal Cruelty
- 2 Second Arrest Made In Animal Cruelty Case At Danbury Pet Store
- 3 9 Danbury Condos Sustain Damage In Fire Sparked By Lightning
- 4 Danbury High Administrator Leaving For Post At Stamford High
- 5 2 Danbury Teens Charged With Harassing Ex-Teacher With Fake Twitter Account