DANBURY, Conn. -- Of $95 million in bond funding for state universities approved by Gov. Dannel Malloy on Tuesday, a total of $12.893 million is slated for improvements at Western Connecticut State University in Danbury.
The projects will be done in fiscal year 2014 as part of a comprehensive, long-term capital infrastructure investment plan. It includes funds for infrastructure improvements, mechanical and electrical upgrades, renovation and equipment, code compliance, and new construction that will replace antiquated or inadequate facilities, according to a statement from Malloy's office.
“Connecticut businesses must have the talent to compete globally, and our state university system is critical for training our future workforce,” Malloy said in a statement. “Over the past two years we’ve made unprecedented investments to improve education—ensuring that Connecticut’s state universities have the resources to modernize and grow is an important part of strengthening Connecticut’s economy.”
“An investment in our institutions is an investment in our state’s future workforce,” said Philip E. Austin, interim president of the Board of Regents for Higher Education, which now governs the four state universities. “These projects will help our universities update and renovate older buildings, purchase new equipment, and expand the capacity on the campuses by constructing state-of-the-art buildings which will enhance our students’ learning experiences.”
At Western Connecticut State University, the projects include:
- Fine Arts Instructional Center equipment for $4.666 million;
- Higgins Hall renovation design funding for $2.982 million;
- New University Police Department construction funds for $4.245 million; and
- Code compliance infrastructure improvements for $1 million.
- 1 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Danbury
- 2 Danbury Police Charge Man, 36, With Attempted Murder
- 3 Off To A Great Start: Kindergarten Registration Begins In Danbury
- 4 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For New Round Of Snow Tuesday In Danbury
- 5 Danbury Could See Up To 4 Inches Of Snow In New Storm