DANBURY, Conn. -- Of $95 million in bond funding for state universities approved by Gov. Dannel Malloy on Tuesday, a total of $12.893 million is slated for improvements at Western Connecticut State University in Danbury.
The projects will be done in fiscal year 2014 as part of a comprehensive, long-term capital infrastructure investment plan. It includes funds for infrastructure improvements, mechanical and electrical upgrades, renovation and equipment, code compliance, and new construction that will replace antiquated or inadequate facilities, according to a statement from Malloy's office.
“Connecticut businesses must have the talent to compete globally, and our state university system is critical for training our future workforce,” Malloy said in a statement. “Over the past two years we’ve made unprecedented investments to improve education—ensuring that Connecticut’s state universities have the resources to modernize and grow is an important part of strengthening Connecticut’s economy.”
“An investment in our institutions is an investment in our state’s future workforce,” said Philip E. Austin, interim president of the Board of Regents for Higher Education, which now governs the four state universities. “These projects will help our universities update and renovate older buildings, purchase new equipment, and expand the capacity on the campuses by constructing state-of-the-art buildings which will enhance our students’ learning experiences.”
At Western Connecticut State University, the projects include:
- Fine Arts Instructional Center equipment for $4.666 million;
- Higgins Hall renovation design funding for $2.982 million;
- New University Police Department construction funds for $4.245 million; and
- Code compliance infrastructure improvements for $1 million.
- 1 Man Faces Multiple Charges After Two-State Chase That Ended In Danbury
- 2 Police Corral 90-Pound Alligator Crossing Street In New York City
- 3 New Fairfield Woman Accused Of Stealing From Church
- 4 Shark Sightings Lead To Beach Closure On Long Island
- 5 CityCenter Danbury Releases August Concert Lineup