FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – The hockey players on the U.S. men’s hockey team, including some with roots in Fairfield County, will not be playing for the gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Instead, they will meet Finland on Saturday for the bronze medal.
Jamie Benn scored the lone goal in the second period and Team Canada held on defeat Team USA, 1-0, in the semifinal match-up Friday in Sochi.
The United States outshot Canada, 37-31, but failed to put one past Team Canada goalie Carey Price.
New Canaan’s Max Pacioretty, Greenwich native Kevin Shattenkirk and Milford native Jonathan Quick play for Team USA. Quick made 30 saves for the U.S. Pacioretty is a teammate of Price's on the Montreal Canadiens in the National Hockey League.
The U.S. will meet Finland in the bronze medal game on Saturday. Sweden nipped Finland, 2-1, in Friday’s other semifinal.
Canada defeated the U.S. in the gold medal game at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
- 1 Man Commits Suicide In Danbury Fair Mall Bathroom
- 2 Malloy Brings Transportation Vision To Danbury, Calls For Widening Of I-84
- 3 Forecast Worsens With More Snow Predicted For Danbury
- 4 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Danbury, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 5 Police: Danbury Resident Pepper Sprays Men Breaking Into His Home