DANBURY, Conn. -- The Danbury Flyers Track Team recently traveled to the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven for their latest meet, the Southern Connecticut Youth Invitational.
The lady Flyers placed third in a field of 12 teams. Critical to third-place finish were several first place medals, including:
- 3000m (Girls 11-12): Madelaine Sweeney, 11:26.55 400m Dash (Girls 11-12): Sofia Whelchel, 1:10.7
- 55m Dash (Girls 11-12): Kimberleigh Williams, 8.67
- 55m Hurdles (Girls 9-10): Corinne Whelchel, 10.28
- 4x200m Relay (Girls 11-12): Ruby Casey, Kimberleigh Williams, Heather Clark, Aaliya Novas; 2:16.4
- 4x200m Relay (Girls 13-14): Giselle Barletti, Vida Goncalves, Meilee Kry, Abigal Mill; 2:10.7
- 4x400m Relay (Girls 9-10): Briana Gilliard, Sophia Guevara, Mariana Teixeira, Sofia Whelchel; 5:15.0
The Flyer boys competed in a field of eight teams and finished just outside the top half with a fifth place finish. The boys also had several notable first place finishes, including:
- 200m Dash (Boys 9-10): Kieran Edwards, 30.77
- 55m Dash (Boys 9-10): Kieran Edwards, 8.38
- 55m Dash (Boys 11-12): Alex Kennedy, 8.22 Long Jump (Boys 11-12): Alex Kennedy, 13' 0"
- 4x200m Relay (Boys 9-10): Kieran Edwards, Jesse Mboya, Julian Farmer Campbell, Kaidyn Nalley; 2:19.4
- 4x200m Relay (Boys 11-12): Max Coisman, Owen England, Alex Kennedy, Jayson You; 2:25.4
- 4x400m (Boys 9-10): Elias Alvarado, Nick Manfredonia, Zachary Petrillo, Kyle Rwabukamba; 6:49.7
Danbury Flyers Coach Gail Williams and her husband Greg Williams founded the Danbury Flyers in 2013, with the intent of creating a feeder program for the Danbury High School running programs.
The Flyers now offer training year-round, as Commissioner Irving Fox founded the cross country program in the fall of 2014 to complement the indoor and outdoor track and field program offered in the winter, spring, and summer seasons.
Regardless of experience or ability, any child in grades three through eight who resides in Danbury or any of the surrounding communities, is welcome to join the Flyers in any of the four seasons.
The Flyers also offer competition opportunities to high school students once the regular season with their high school team has concluded. More information about the program can be obtained by clicking here .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.