FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Darien High School graduate Case Matheis scored three goals and dished out two assists Sunday, May 18, to help Duke beat Johns Hopkins, 19-11, in the quarterfinals of the NCAA men’s lacrosse tournament.
Duke will play Denver in the semifinals on Saturday, May 24, while Notre Dame will play Maryland in the other semifinal. The final will be played Monday, May 26. The semifinals and finals will be played in Baltimore.
Greenwich’s Charlie Payton, a senior, and Teddy Henderson, a freshman, are also members of the Blue Devils’ roster.
Matheis has 23 goals and 18 assists on the season for Duke, which won the NCAA title in 2013.
Other players from Fairfield County on teams in the semifinals include Norwalk’s Colin Woolford, a sophomore at Denver; Norwalk’s Zack Bartolo, a freshman at Notre Dame; and Darien’s Eric Parnon and Henry West, who play at Maryland. West has 15 goals and eight assists, and scored a goal in the team's 16-8 win over Bryant in the quarterfinals.
- 1 One Lane Reopens On I-84 Stretch After Tractor-Trailer/Car Accident
- 2 Two Sons Injured Trying To Save Elderly Mother From Ridgefield Condo Fire
- 3 Danbury Police: Man Arrested On Drug Charges After Ramming Unmarked Car
- 4 Thunderstorms Could Produce Gusty Winds, Hail In Danbury
- 5 Ole Mexican Grill Serves Up New Options Near Danbury's WestConn