FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Darien High School graduate Case Matheis scored three goals and dished out two assists Sunday, May 18, to help Duke beat Johns Hopkins, 19-11, in the quarterfinals of the NCAA men’s lacrosse tournament.
Duke will play Denver in the semifinals on Saturday, May 24, while Notre Dame will play Maryland in the other semifinal. The final will be played Monday, May 26. The semifinals and finals will be played in Baltimore.
Greenwich’s Charlie Payton, a senior, and Teddy Henderson, a freshman, are also members of the Blue Devils’ roster.
Matheis has 23 goals and 18 assists on the season for Duke, which won the NCAA title in 2013.
Other players from Fairfield County on teams in the semifinals include Norwalk’s Colin Woolford, a sophomore at Denver; Norwalk’s Zack Bartolo, a freshman at Notre Dame; and Darien’s Eric Parnon and Henry West, who play at Maryland. West has 15 goals and eight assists, and scored a goal in the team's 16-8 win over Bryant in the quarterfinals.
- 1 Suspected Drug Dealer Busted With Crack, Heroin, Danbury Police Say
- 2 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Danbury
- 3 Danbury Man, 67, Gets 10 Years In Prison For Leading Drug Ring
- 4 Danbury Billionaire Delays Construction To Keep Kids Soccer Fields Open
- 5 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport