DANBURY, Conn. -- Former Western Connecticut State University basketball standout Shawn Mobilio has been picked to play for Team USA Select in Europe this September.
Mobilio, who was co-captain his senior year at WestConn in Danbury, will be a busy man, playing 24 games in just 25 days as part of the European Exposure Tour Team.
Team USA Select provides American players with the opportunity to showcase their talents to coaches and team owners all over Europe in the hopes of signing a professional contract.
To make the team, Mobilio participated in a spring tryout in Charlotte, N.C., against other college basketball players from all over the country. The former Colonials point guard played 10 games in three days to make the squad.
Mobilio has raised several thousand dollars and acquired numerous sponsors to finance his trip and credits the education he received at Western for helping him along.
“My communication classes helped me greatly,” he said. “I learned a lot about public speaking, interacting successfully with others and reading non-verbal cues in people.”
Mobilio was named co-captain of the Colonials his senior year and tied for second in the Little East Conference in assists.
When his professional career is over, Mobilio hopes to stay in the game by becoming a coach.
- 1 Two Sons Injured Trying To Save Elderly Mother From Ridgefield Condo Fire
- 2 One Lane Reopens On I-84 Stretch After Tractor-Trailer/Car Accident
- 3 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teen Girl
- 4 Stamford Man Stopped On I-684 Charged With Driving Wrong Way, DWI
- 5 'I Am A Woman,' Newtown High School Graduate Jenner Says In 20/20 Interview